Monday, October 14, 2013

Bike:// Classics:// Schwinn Bicycles

Roger on Richland Avenue with a Schwinn Bicycle
Here's Roger Wollstadt on his Schwinn Bicycle in front of their house in Lakewood, Ohio. His caption on this Flickr photo says this was taken around his tenth birthday in 1946 and that he used this bike to deliver newspapers in Lakewood and in Millburn, New Jersey. This photo shows just how beautiful Schwinn bikes are and highlights the history of balloon bicycles and what they represent to Americans that grew up riding them after the war. I think a lot of us remember our first bikes or at least the bikes we rode when we were around Roger's age when this picture was taken. I never got a bike of my own while I was growing up and I had to "borrow" (basically steal) my sister's BMX bike or my cousin's black road bike when I was young. What about you? What was your first bike?

No comments:

Post a Comment